Module 1: Introduction to Microsoft SQL Server 2016
This module introduces SQL Server, the versions of SQL Server, including cloud versions, and how to connect to SQL Server using SQL Server Management Studio.
- The Basic Architecture of SQL Server
- SQL Server Editions and Versions
- Getting Started with SQL Server Management Studio
Module 2: Introduction to T-SQL Querying
This module introduces the elements of T-SQL and their role in writing queries, describes the use of sets in SQL Server, describes the use of predicate logic in SQL Server, and describes the logical order of operations in SELECT statements.
- Introducing T-SQL
- Understanding Sets
- Understanding Predicate Logic
- Understanding the Logical Order of Operations in SELECT statements
Module 3: Writing SELECT Queries
This module introduces the fundamentals of the SELECT statement, focusing on queries against a single table.
- Writing Simple SELECT Statements
- Eliminating Duplicates with DISTINCT
- Using Column and Table Aliases
- Writing Simple CASE Expressions
Module 4: Querying Multiple Tables
This module explains how to write queries which combine data from multiple sources in SQL Server. The module introduces the use of JOINs in T-SQL queries as a mechanism for retrieving data from multiple tables.
- Understanding Joins
- Querying with Inner Joins
- Querying with Outer Joins
- Querying with Cross Joins and Self Joins
Module 5: Sorting and Filtering Data
This module explains how to enhance queries to limit the rows they return, and to control the order in which the rows are displayed. The module also discusses how to resolve missing and unknown results.
- Sorting Data
- Filtering Data with Predicates
- Filtering with the TOP and OFFSET-FETCH Options
- Working with Unknown Values
Module 6: Working with SQL Server 2016 Data Types
This module explains the data types SQL Server uses to store data. It introduces the many types of numeric and special-use data types. It also explains conversions between data types, and the importance of type precedence.
- Introducing SQL Server 2016 Data Types
- Working with Character Data
- Working with Date and Time Data
Module 7: Using DML to Modify Data
This module describes the use of Transact-SQL Data Manipulation Language to perform inserts, updates, and deletes to your data.
- Inserting Data
- Μodifying and Deleting Data
Module 8: Using Built-In Functions This module introduces the use of functions that are built in to SQL Server Denali, and will discuss some common usages including data type conversion, testing for logical results and nullability.
- Writing Queries with Built-In Functions
- Using Conversion Functions
- Using Logical Functions
- Using Functions to Work with NULL
Module 9: Grouping and Aggregating Data
This module introduces methods for grouping data within a query, aggregating the grouped data and filtering groups with HAVING. The module is designed to help the student grasp why a SELECT clause has restrictions placed upon column naming in the GROUP BY clause as well as which columns may be listed in the SELECT clause.
- Using Aggregate Functions
- Using the GROUP BY Clause
- Filtering Groups with HAVING
Module 10: Using Subqueries
This module will introduce the use of subqueries in various parts of a SELECT statement. It will include the use of scalar and multi-result subqueries, and the use of the IN and EXISTS operators.
- Writing Self-Contained Subqueries
- Writing Correlated Subqueries
- Using the EXISTS Predicate with Subqueries
Module 11: Using Set Operators
This module introduces the set operators UNION, INTERSECT, and EXCEPT to compare rows between two input sets.
- Writing Queries with the UNION Operator
- Using EXCEPT and INTERSECT
- Using APPLY